A letter to an English friend about Polish Easter celebration - List do przyjaciela z Anglii z opisem świętowania Wielkanocy w Polsce
JUŻ 9902 WYPRACOWANIA W BAZIE!
I’m really happy to hear that you’ve already moved to your new house. I hope I’ll find some time soon and I’ll go to England to finally see it. Unfortunately, the period you’ve suggested is not appropriate for me. In Poland we celebrate Easter at that time. This is the most important feast for the Roman Catholics.
I suppose that you may not know much about this holiday. Therefore I’ll tell you something about it and you might find it really interesting as you are an ethnographer.
The Roman Catholics are not allowed to eat meat for forty days before Easter. The whole celebration begins on Friday which is called Great Friday. We celebrate the Passion of the Lord then since it is believed that Christ died on Friday.
From then on people visit churches since there are models of Christ’s grave in every church. On Saturday all the families prepare food (for example eggs, sausages, cakes) that is going to be eaten the next day when the Lent finishes. They put the food into a basket (the basket with food in it is called 'święconka') and take it to the church to receive the blessing by the parish priest.
The most significant day is Easter Sunday. The Catholics take part in a special mass, called 'Resurrection', since it is believed that Christ resurrected on Sunday. Then all the families have a very special breakfast, when you are supposed to taste at least a small part of all the things that have been put into the basket.
The celebrations end the following day which is called the Dyngus Day. According to tradition one should pour water on others and as a result many people are soaked to the skin that day.
I suppose that this may sound interesting for you. Easter celebrations are a very important part of our tradition and probably this is much more different from what you can meet/observe in England. Hope you’ll come to Poland during this period once and you’ll have the opportunity to take part in it.
Thanks for your invitation. I’m looking forward to hearing from you.
Podobne wypracowania do A letter to an English friend about Polish Easter celebration - List do przyjaciela z Anglii z opisem świętowania Wielkanocy w Polsce
- Holidays in Poland - customs of the All Saints' Day in Poland. Description - Święta w Polsce - tradycje święta Wszystkich Zmarłych w Polsce
- A report for the museum - Raport dla muzeum
- Description of my weekend and weekend activities - Opis mojego weekendu i zajęć weekendowych
- Many people visit museums when they travel to new places. Why do you think people visit museums? (opinion) - Wielu ludzi podróżując, zwiedza muzea. Jak myślisz, dlaczego to robią? (opinia)
- If you could spend a day with anyone you want, who would you spend it with and why? - Jeśli mógłbyś spędzić dzień z kimkolwiek chcesz, kto by to był i dlaczego?
- A description of Christmas in Poland - Opis Świąt Bożego Narodzenia w Polsce
- What can you do for the environment? (essay) - Co możesz zrobić dla środowiska? (esej)
- Crimes and mental illnesses: description of a picture - Przestępstwa i choroby psychiczne: opis obrazka
- May a workaholic be a good companion? - Czy pracoholik może być dobrym towarzyszem?
- Description of mountains - Opis gór
- Natural disasters - Klęski żywiołowe
- A review of a Polish film that you would recommend to a foreign friend ('Katyń' Wajda) - Recenzja polskiego filmu z rekomendacją dla przyjaciela z zagranicy („Katyń” Wajda)
- You are supposed to visit a friend in London next week, unfortunately you got sick. Write a letter with apology - Miałeś odwiedzić kolegę w Londynie w przyszłym tygodniu, niestety zachorowałeś. Napisz list z przeprosinami
- Description of a seaside - Opis morza i plaży
- Job interview (manager) - Rozmowa kwalifikacyjna (na stanowisko managera)
- Description of a restaurant - Opis restauracji
- A note to a friend about another friend's birthday - Notatka do przyjaciela o urodzinach wspólnej znajomej
- Living in a flat or in a house? Essay - Mieszkanie w bloku czy w domu? Rozprawka
- A letter about the gallery - List z wrażeniami z wystawy do organizatora
- Time, passing time: description of a picture - Czas, upływający czas: opis obrazka